Story Time - The Begining and My Flatemates.


The Beginning and my flatmates (Long post)

To say University was filled with some of my finest moments would be a lie I have lived up to the freshers name, I have been screwed over and I have done things that I am frankly ashamed of, but do you know what I have stories and memories which make even the worst times worth it.

So here I am going to document why I loved my first year of uni so much, and I might even include some of the things I shouldn’t (depends how much trouble I want to cause for myself... Sorry Mam)

I moved to university on the 24th of September 2017 saying goodbye to family members especially my grandfather was the hardest part (aside from getting all the shit I took with me in the car) I took what we be the last picture of me with my pet Rabbit (RIP Buddy) and the drive there went a lot quicker than I expected and I didn’t quite have enough time to emotionally ready myself for the inevitable goodbye to my parents and sister. As many do nowadays I already new the names of the majority of my flat mates as we had made a group as soon as we had found our accommodation naturally as a girl I had already stalked each member of the house (that I knew of) and had decided whom I would like and whom I would dislike:

·         Liv – Welsh like myself, seemed bubbly and into things that I liked (thumbs up from me)

·         Gemma – Seemed my type of person, felt I would get along with her the best, vegetarian.

·         Isobel – Slightly older, seemed nice enough, seemed odd

·         Tegan – Slightly odd but came across as really lovely, also a vegan

·         Lucy – Blonde skinny and looked really bitchy (wanted to give her the wide berth)

·         Chloe – really friendly, a little crazy with eccentric friends

·         ???

·         ???

·         ???

We had 3 rooms left all of us, and so far I believed that I would only get on with 2 of my flatmates.

Move in day is a day filled with a lot of excitement and anxiousness, moving in all my stuff was a long process (had brought everything other than a kitchen sink) my family decided to all go for lunch before they officially left me in my new home. As they hugged me goodbye it was emotional, I’m not a big crier (most of the time) or anything like that, but even I shed a little tear. As my mam hugged me she told me “go spend time with your new flatmates now” (which is the exact opposite that my sister did when she attended university).  After I waved them goodbye I steadied myself before officially going to meet my new flatmates that were all in the kitchen, we had Chloe, the friendly and eccentric blonde, Lucy the blonde bitchy on, Liv the other welsh one, Tegan the vegan, and Polly (who I originally thought was called holly)

·         Polly- I almost gravitated towards her as she had my colour hair, and she seemed like someone I would get along with

I don’t remember much of that first conversation, all I remember chatting about was the 2 mystery flatmates, that Isobel was spending the next 2 nights with her family and boyfriend, and where was Gemma? We eventually got bored and started talking about the most anticipated night of our uni life, the first night of freshers. The amount of us going quickly whittled down from 6 to 4 and not long later Myself, Polly, Lucy and Chloe were in the kitchen listening to some loud Scatty music which we all claimed to like as Chloe put it on, I had never partied like that before. I had never drank with these people so I wasn’t yet comfortable and Chloe seemed to get into the party mood so quickly, Lucy and Polly followed behind soon after. Once we were suitably tipsy enough we headed over to the SU (freshers party) when we went outside one of them said something to me which was “don’t let me bring anyone home, I have thrush.”

Now I don’t know if this is just my friend group from home, but we know each other very well most of them I have known for over 10 years. However, we have never shared any intimate things like that. We’ve talked about sex yeah, but we’ve never discussed anything that was wrong which our bodies (unless it was about our self-esteem).

The first night of freshers is a blur I remember dancing with my flatmates, next minute we are next to a guy I had matched with on tinder, then he was asking me to go back with him and next thing I knew I was in his bed. So the first night of freshers I spent in someone else’s bed, some might say I started off uni right, and in all fairness it’s not something I regret, the truth is I didn’t do anything that I class as serious, so basically I never slept with him however, I did spend the night with him and I didn’t leave until 8am the next day. When I slinked back to my house wearing his jumper and last nights jeans I was relieved to see no one was in the kitchen yet just as I entered the house my one house mate did go into the kitchen, wanting to make goof impressions on people and to get a drink I followed her in “Your up early” she said “ I just got back to be honest.”

Now I don’t think ive ever really wondered how I felt about that first night until now and looking back on it I still know why I did it, I knew why I went back with him and it was simply because I could, as previously mentioned I was still obsessed with a boy and I wanted a distraction and I wanted to move on, not only that my parents have always been strict and it was the freedom to do what I wanted.

Most of my friends from sixth form all went to university, some had already been there a week by the time I had moved into mine, everyone really had a different experience from what I saw. The second day of uni is one I do not really remember, I recall making dinner in the kitchen and eating it in my room (I have this thing where I struggle to each in close proximity to people if I don’t know them) and I know we went out again, this time I got more involved and drank a lot more but I hadn’t clicked with the other 3 girls (Lucy, Chloe and Polly) in the way the 3 of them had seemed to, so as we got off the university bus in town I ended up with a new group of people (I have no idea how I managed that) and actually felt I clicked relatively well with one or two of the girls.

It wasn’t till the 3rd day which would have been the Monday did we finally meet Isobel and discover our other flatmate, while sat in the kitchen Isobel told us that she had spent the last few days with her family and boyfriend as she lived in Scotland and therefore she had flown over to attend our university. The other flat mates we discovered as we were talking casually Myself or Isobel mentioned a Chinese girl, we had assumed was someone’s friend helping them move in, but no one else had seen her. As if by magic a Chinese girl walked into our kitchen put some things in the fridge and introduced herself “Hi I’m MiMi and I’m from China” we were all shocked, as in stunned silence. We must have looked like the bitchiest bunch of people in the planet as we just said “Hi”. One of the other girls had also met another flatmate Abi.

·         Abi – “she’s really quiet” the girl who met her said

With that we had our house and so far I felt like there were 2 that I would really get on with, one that was too scared of being spiked to go out and another who had yet to turn up, so we were planning on using her room for laundry (because we are so kind and considerate.) She eventually turned up saying, she thought we didn't start till the 1st of October.
So that was it, it may have took us several days but we finally had a full house and boy I didn't expect what would happen over the next coming year.


Sorry about the long post but I wanted to get a bit of my story out there, Hopefully there aren’t too many grammatical errors and hopefully its engaging enough that you don’t fall asleep half way through.

Thank you for reading

Beth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freshers Tips and Why I Chose Univeristy

Tips for Halls